Hands on Moderating Skills
Mixing online tutorials and a hands-on approach this one day course gives you a chance to learn and prepare in your own time (and talking to colleagues around you!) followed by hands-on training where you put your techniques into practice with coaching and feedback from our course leaders
All students to AQR Core Skills course are encouraged to watch the AQR introductory video before attending their first AQR training course. The video lasts about 10 minutes and the topics included are:
- Just what is qualitative research?
- A little on our industry's past, present and future
- What makes for a great qualitative researcher
- What we typically do (projects, techniques and so on)
The objective of this video is giving you the headspace to reflect on the foundations of qual before you start your training with us.
Preparing for the course
Preceding the course each student will be required to attend an online tutorial on the theory. This will cover:
- When and how to choose groups
- Types of groups you can consider
- The theory about running groups
- Introduction to moderating techniques
- Preparing a discussion outline to refine in, hands on training
In order to get the most out of the course, it is recommended that you allow for approximately 5 hours of advance preparation and reading over the 2 weeks leading up to the course.
Learning outcomes from the course
The course will take you from theory to practice, covering these topics:
- Setting up a project
- The role(s) of a moderator
- Curious questioning and eliciting skills
- Active listening and observation skills
- Understanding and managing group dynamics
The hands-on exercises will be conducted in small groups so that you all have plenty of opportunity to practice your skills and experience moderating from both sides of the table. The exercises will be tailored towards your own skill sets using information you supply ahead of the course.
MRS CPD Accreditation
This course is accredited for 6 hours as part of the MRS Continuous Professional Development (CPD) programme.
AQR Core Skills courses are in high demand and advance booking is essential, both to ensure a place on the course and to give time to do the preparatory work required. Scheduled dates for this course are:
Please check the AQR Events and Training calendar for details of upcoming courses and booking options, late cancellations, and waiting lists. If you need any further information abut this or any of our AQR courses, please do not hesitate to contact us.